Amateur Catholic

We don't write books or do speaking tours.
In fact, we barely do our jobs.
-We're the B-Team of Catholic Bloggers-

This is the home of the Amateur Catholic® bloggers - or as we like to refer to ourselves, the B-team. We don't write books or do speaking tours. In fact, we barely do our jobs. That's not to say we're unambitious though... You see, this coalition is just the second phase our blogoshpere conquest. We suppose you could think of us as amateur crusaders too.

Membership will not bring you any money, perks, notoriety, or prestige - but you will get the privilege of proudly displaying the B-team badge on your blog! Lucky you, huh?

amateurcatholic @ gmail.com

If you are hosting a conference, parish function, or some other event and can not afford the exorbitant fees typically associated with a Professional Catholic®, please contact one of our members. We like to hear ourselves talk just as much as the Professional Catholics® do, we just don't charge you for it. But hey give us a meal, free beer, and a designated driver, and we'll speak about breaking the Da Vinci Code or anything else you might care to hear about.



The B-Team badge is copryright 2006, The B-Team Bloggers®. Of course, we're Amateur Catholics®, so if you use the badge without permission (enrolled membership), we won't hunt you down and make you cough up your hard-earned bucks. Just have fun with it and maybe buy us a beer next time you're in town.

Powered by Blogger


Thursday, March 09, 2006

Christine: Rambling Amateur Catholic

Okay, I can’t help it any more. (I am terrible at resisting temptation on the web for some reason.)

Hi, I’m Christine, and I am a blog addict.

I gave up computer games for Lent, but I didn’t include reading blogs, so I am now applying for membership on the B-Team. I’m an amateur Catholic because, despite being raised in the Faith, I only just read my first encyclical when Benedict put his out. I also did not know what an encyclical was until I was a married grown-up.

Other things that give me amateur status…I homeschool my children with Catholic curriculum and I find myself learning lots of neat stuff from my second-grader’s Religious Ed. Book. I had a scapular (two, actually) from my First Communion and didn’t know what they were about until about a year ago. Really. I didn’t know the mysteries of the Rosary until about three years ago, when I happened to watch enough EWTN to pick them up. I’d never learned the Hail, Holy Queen or the Fatima prayer until then, and I learned them by watching the International Rosary every day until I got them down. They say that really FAST on there. Too bad I didn’t think of just looking up the prayers online. My mother used to tell me that I’m book-smart, but didn’t have the common sense to come in out of the rain. I’m starting to think that it’s really true.

I’m also definitely not a pro because I fail every day to be the Christian I ought to be. I have messed-up priorities sometimes, I don’t always get through a whole Rosary in one day, I don’t remember to say grace half the time, and I definitely have a problem with pride. One day, I hope to get over all of these things, especially the pride thing. And I hope I won’t be proud of myself when I do. I spent a couple of years wondering why I was Catholic when I was exposed to Evangelical/Fundamental Christians (very good people, very sincere) until I heard a convert say that the reason she is Catholic is because of the Eucharist. And I knew I’d never, EVER leave the Catholic Church.

Things that threaten my pro status are few. I teach CCD, but naturally don’t get paid for that. I did apply to be youth director at my parish and I was not chosen, in spite of the fact that there were no other applicants at the time. (Wow…that really doesn’t threaten it, does it? Kind of affirms my amateur status…)

I’ve been running my blog, Ramblings of a GOP Soccer Mom, since the 2004 election cycle, and although it started out as a mostly-political blog, when John Paul the Great died, it began to morph into something with a LOT more Catholicism on it.

Hopefully, I’d be able to keep up with the amazing bloggers on this site, many of whom are on my Blogroll already, and quite a few of whom inspire me to read, learn, and link, link, link. (Do I get extra credit for brown-nosing?)

-Christine

http://ramblinggopsoccermom.blogspot.com

(oh, I hope I get to join the club…I hope, I hope, I hope…maybe they’ll let me sit at the Cool Kids Table!)

Haha Christine. After reading your last post in the comboxes I knew it was only a matter of time before you succumbed to the temptation of professed mediocrity. And yes...brown-nosing will get you anywhere. That's all part of our Amateur status, we don't have enough sophistication to dismiss the shameless and pathetic attempts of those trying to curry favor. We just like you all the more. See, here's a link just for being a sweetheart about it. Welcome!

11 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 10:32 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Rick's back to begging for blogroll links again. It wouldn't be so bad if he'd actually get back to blogging.

Christine, after your comments over at CatholicNews last night, I knew we were kindred spirits, so I added you to my blogroll at Pro Ecclesia. Unlike Rick, however, I did it without any thoughts of reciprocity.

Welcome to Amateur Catholic!

 
At 3/09/2006 10:43 AM, Blogger Rick Lugari said...

sniff sniff

Oh, hi Jay.

I may lack the sophistication to dismiss people trying to curry MY favor, in which I was doling out the links to reward that behavior, but I'm not so unsohpisticated to see through your desperate attempt of link whoring by accusing the link john of shamful self-promotion.

sniff

 
At 3/09/2006 11:29 AM, Blogger Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Good golly, how did you work THAT many links in there. Even I don't promote myself that shamelessly (and I have been known to leave links to myself on bigger Catholic blogs until they give in and put me on their blogroll...see Curt Jester for one example).

I'll reciprocate, though, ASAP.

 
At 3/09/2006 11:46 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I will say that it's not everyday that we're blessed with the presence of someone who's been referred to by one blog as a "MILF".

LOL!

 
At 3/09/2006 11:55 AM, Blogger Rick Lugari said...

LOL Jay...

I saw that too, but wasn't going to go there. You know, being all about inner beauty and stuff...

 
At 3/09/2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

If she hadn't posted it on her own blog, I'd have never touched the subject.

LOL

 
At 3/09/2006 12:01 PM, Blogger Rick Lugari said...

Well, I'm sure Christine will be relieved to know that you learned about her MILFness from her blog rather than from the guys.

;)

 
At 3/09/2006 12:23 PM, Blogger owenswain said...

Christine, you may be an Amateur Catholic but your are a professional rambler ;-) Welcome.

 
At 3/09/2006 12:50 PM, Blogger Christine the Soccer Mom said...

When I posted that, it was current. I think I need to tweak my profile now. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Now back to socks and vacuuming.

(oh, when will the excitement end?!?!?)

 
At 3/09/2006 4:05 PM, Blogger Der Tommissar said...

Waitasec, there's "Soccer" in the title of her blog?

I object!

 
At 3/10/2006 8:24 AM, Blogger Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Tommissar: You have to read my profile. I think it explains the soccer thing. Maybe not. If it's not there, you can read my first post, 'cuz it's there.

Lyl...um...I can't explain it here. It's too embarrassing, and not very family-friendly. I hate to say it, but you can Google it if you want, though I'm sure you'll be embarrassed. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home