Amateur Catholic

We don't write books or do speaking tours.
In fact, we barely do our jobs.
-We're the B-Team of Catholic Bloggers-

This is the home of the Amateur Catholic® bloggers - or as we like to refer to ourselves, the B-team. We don't write books or do speaking tours. In fact, we barely do our jobs. That's not to say we're unambitious though... You see, this coalition is just the second phase our blogoshpere conquest. We suppose you could think of us as amateur crusaders too.

Membership will not bring you any money, perks, notoriety, or prestige - but you will get the privilege of proudly displaying the B-team badge on your blog! Lucky you, huh?

amateurcatholic @ gmail.com

If you are hosting a conference, parish function, or some other event and can not afford the exorbitant fees typically associated with a Professional Catholic®, please contact one of our members. We like to hear ourselves talk just as much as the Professional Catholics® do, we just don't charge you for it. But hey give us a meal, free beer, and a designated driver, and we'll speak about breaking the Da Vinci Code or anything else you might care to hear about.



The B-Team badge is copryright 2006, The B-Team Bloggers®. Of course, we're Amateur Catholics®, so if you use the badge without permission (enrolled membership), we won't hunt you down and make you cough up your hard-earned bucks. Just have fun with it and maybe buy us a beer next time you're in town.

Powered by Blogger


Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Fidei Defensor: Amateur College Catholic

Hi everyone, my name's Dan but I blog under the name Fidei Defensor or simply FD. My blog, College Catholic, is on hiatus for Lent however since I am emailing this blurb to Rick, not posting it on a blog per-say I think I'm in the clear. I guess I'll just string off a bunch of facts about myself.

I'm a going on 20 college student in one of those frigid upper-Midwest college towns.

I learned more about Catholicism from a few months in the blogsphere than in all my years of once a week religion classes.

One of my main goals in life is to become self sufficient in supplying myself with maple syrup.

I was on the "B" team of freshman football, senior year my varsity stats include one tackle and almost recovering one blocked punt.

I am a sometime reader at church and always plead to the person sitting next to me to give me a "courtesy elbow" when it is time for me to go up and read.

I collect flags and have a 3 by 5 ft. Vatican City banner hanging up in my dorm.

I once told a rather liberal priest that I had just got a Rosary and wanted to learn how to say it (as in HINT HINT) and was shocked when he didn't oblige.

In an attempt at some uniqueness I occasionally will do a post on military surplus rifles, M-14's, M-1's, and Lee Enfields being the most beloved.

I am a bit disappointed that Pabst is now brewed in Texas instead of Milwaukee, does anyone know if they are still making Hamm's in the "Land of sky blue waters?"

I throw the phrase "Culture of Death" around on my blog a lot but I have never read a Papal encyclical.

I once missed half a class because I asked a fundamentalist guy preaching on campus why his Bible has less books in it.

I am happy to be counted in the esteemed ranks of amateur Catholic bloggers and promise to sacrifice valuable homework and studying time checking your guys's blogs ad nauseum (how's that for Latin?)!
We have not an M-14, so we MUST be B-Teamers, huh? At least it's official now. I'm missing your blogging, but it is Lent, so I must sacrifice. And FTR, bud...if you want one of us to speak at one of your functions, you better not try pawning off a Pabst product on us - else we'll have to go "pro" on you, and you can't afford that. ;) Welcome!

3 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 1:19 AM, Blogger Fidei Defensor said...

Rick my friend...

Why hate on Pabst? You have to admire a company that won an award (Blue Ribbon) in 1893 and has been resting on its laurels since!

B-teamers drink Pabst, A-Teamers drink Corona or something!

FTR-To further add to my B-team cred I lost I student government election by ONE VOTE!

As for the rifles, we can always hope for the day that the gov't sells off surplus M14's and us B-teamers get a shot at them.

If one of you speaks at my events I promise I'll get some Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss, the same Bavarian beer the Pope drinks!

 
At 3/09/2006 8:44 AM, Blogger Rick Lugari said...

Hey FD,

I like the observation about Pabst's blue ribbon award. ;)

You need to know the alternative byline we were working with:

We don't drink Coors or any other fashionable pee-water brew.
In fact...
we rarely do domestic.
;)

Make sure you swing by Darwin's. He's got a nice post up about military rifles.

 
At 3/09/2006 10:39 AM, Blogger Darwin said...

Yeah, I hate to break it to you, FD, but drinking Pabst is not a virtue except as a way to mortify the body.

Franziskaner is good on a hot day, but to really get serious about German beer you need to try Salvator dopplebock -- it's got a monk on the bottle, and as the name would suggest is something of a minor reflection of the beatific vision.

And then, of course, if you really have some money to spend ($8 for a large wine-size bottle) you can pick up some Belgian Trappist beer brewed by monks for the greater glory of God.

That's what you've got to love about beer. With wine and hard liquor, you need to spend 50+ bucks a bottle to start getting into world class quality. But with beer, you can buy the very best beers made in the world for less than ten dollars a bottle. Working mans elitism, that's what.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home