Amateur Catholic

We don't write books or do speaking tours.
In fact, we barely do our jobs.
-We're the B-Team of Catholic Bloggers-

This is the home of the Amateur Catholic® bloggers - or as we like to refer to ourselves, the B-team. We don't write books or do speaking tours. In fact, we barely do our jobs. That's not to say we're unambitious though... You see, this coalition is just the second phase our blogoshpere conquest. We suppose you could think of us as amateur crusaders too.

Membership will not bring you any money, perks, notoriety, or prestige - but you will get the privilege of proudly displaying the B-team badge on your blog! Lucky you, huh?

amateurcatholic @ gmail.com

If you are hosting a conference, parish function, or some other event and can not afford the exorbitant fees typically associated with a Professional Catholic®, please contact one of our members. We like to hear ourselves talk just as much as the Professional Catholics® do, we just don't charge you for it. But hey give us a meal, free beer, and a designated driver, and we'll speak about breaking the Da Vinci Code or anything else you might care to hear about.



The B-Team badge is copryright 2006, The B-Team Bloggers®. Of course, we're Amateur Catholics®, so if you use the badge without permission (enrolled membership), we won't hunt you down and make you cough up your hard-earned bucks. Just have fun with it and maybe buy us a beer next time you're in town.

Powered by Blogger


Thursday, March 09, 2006

CPT Tom: Amateur Catholic

Please accept my membership applications. A recovering Vatican II cradle Catholic, I have survived the storm of the last 40 years to re-awaken as a Militant Catholic(tm). Started blogging in October, at http://corningcm.blogspot.com I comment on mostly Catholic issues and about the goings on in the small part of the Diocese of Rochester where I live.

Yours in Christ,

--CPT Tom
Diocese of Rochester, eh? No wonder you're a curmudgeon. For what it's worth, I'm from Detroit, so I feel your pain. Maybe not as intensely, but enough to know what it can do to a guy. ;) Welcome to the B-Team.

7 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 4:04 PM, Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Rochester still gets digs for things that either did not happen, or stopped happening a while ago (when Father Callan and his crew jumped ship)

(I was the associate editor of the diocean paper, so I was aware of a lot of the stuff going on.)

Maybe it's time to stop dissing Rochester and turn to other targets.

 
At 3/09/2006 4:17 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Honestly, there are several other dioceses that take in on the chin worse than Rochester. I don't see why anyone should be feeling particularly on edge about slights against the Rochester Diocese. Just be glad you don't live in L.A.

Besides, Rick was making a joke.

 
At 3/09/2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Rick Lugari said...

Of course I was speaking tongue in cheek, and I have no personal experience with that diocese.

However, many of the things I have heard or read don't leave me with the impression that Rochester is a bastion of orthodoxy and reverant liturgies. But I've certainly been wrong before though...

 
At 3/09/2006 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, please let me be a member of the Amateur Catholic B-Team! I've been blogging on Xanga for about a year now, sometimes about Catholic topics. A nominal cradle Catholic,I came back to the Catholic Church in 1997 after about 25 years as a Methodist. I am in love with being a Catholic, but I'm definitely not a pro! I came back into the Church in the Diocese of Jackson in Mississippi, but moved to the Ozarks in January and am now a happy member of the Diocese of Little Rock. Can I please be in your club?

 
At 3/09/2006 9:47 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Annie,

You're in. Just send us an email at amateurcatholic@gmail.com with all that info you just provided and a link to your blog so we can blogroll you. Once we have the info, we'll put up a post for you announcing your amateur status.

 
At 3/10/2006 4:27 PM, Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Rick - I accept that you were speaking tongue in cheek. I've guilty of that myself (and been hit over the head a few times!).

The problem with "just kidding," though, is that it can help to perpetuate myths and stereotypes. Look at all the "harmless" jokes about Blacks, Jews, women, etc - or even Catholic. So even when we joke, we can help to keep falshoods alive. (as I said, I've been guilty of this, too)

As for Rochester - yes, there were some questionable moves in the past - and there are still some things more traditional types are not happy about - but on the whole it's not as "out there" as it was.

If Bishop Clark were as bad as sime of the conservatives tried to make him out, would he still be here?

And back when I was a Catholic journalist (writer and editor) from 1987-99 in the diocese, I covered many of the same events as the Clark bashers.

Let's just say I sometimes had a hard time finding the truth in some of their screeds.

 
At 3/10/2006 5:14 PM, Blogger Rick Lugari said...

If Bishop Clark were as bad as sime of the conservatives tried to make him out, would he still be here?

Tough question, just by considering Cardinal Mahony, one could come to two opposing conclusions.

A. Cardinal Mahony is still "there".

2. Cardinal Mahoney was given a major see and a red hat.

Either way, it wasn't much of a defense. ;)

In fairness, I do understand where you're coming from. There's three sides to every story...yours, mine, and the hard truth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home