Amateur Catholic

We don't write books or do speaking tours.
In fact, we barely do our jobs.
-We're the B-Team of Catholic Bloggers-

This is the home of the Amateur Catholic® bloggers - or as we like to refer to ourselves, the B-team. We don't write books or do speaking tours. In fact, we barely do our jobs. That's not to say we're unambitious though... You see, this coalition is just the second phase our blogoshpere conquest. We suppose you could think of us as amateur crusaders too.

Membership will not bring you any money, perks, notoriety, or prestige - but you will get the privilege of proudly displaying the B-team badge on your blog! Lucky you, huh?

amateurcatholic @ gmail.com

If you are hosting a conference, parish function, or some other event and can not afford the exorbitant fees typically associated with a Professional Catholic®, please contact one of our members. We like to hear ourselves talk just as much as the Professional Catholics® do, we just don't charge you for it. But hey give us a meal, free beer, and a designated driver, and we'll speak about breaking the Da Vinci Code or anything else you might care to hear about.



The B-Team badge is copryright 2006, The B-Team Bloggers®. Of course, we're Amateur Catholics®, so if you use the badge without permission (enrolled membership), we won't hunt you down and make you cough up your hard-earned bucks. Just have fun with it and maybe buy us a beer next time you're in town.

Powered by Blogger


Friday, March 10, 2006

Jen: Amateur Catholic

I'd love a cool button for my blog, but I don't think I can make any claims about being ready for the B-team. If you're the JV, I'm still with the freshman. I think y'all are cool, so I follow you around, but I'm not ready for the medium-time.

Maybe it's because I'm trying to do my job just a little bit more than barely. (Um, no, not that.)

Maybe it's because I don't want to be an amateur apologist. (Nope, not that either.)

Maybe it's because I'm not a committed Catholic. (Again, not true. I should definitely be committed.)

So here's my story. I'm Jen, and I'm a Catholic. (And a feminist. And an academic. And a mother of three.) Once, a long, long, long time ago, I got paid for an article in America . (Hey now, they publish orthodox stuff, too.) And then I finished my Ph.D., had two more kids, and took a tenure-track job at a Jesuit Catholic university in St. Louis. (Hey, they may host the Vagina Monologues, but don't go and judge the book by its...um....cover.) Now I'm trying to keep my head above water, and I am getting more amateurish every day.

But hopefully, somewhere I'll be Catholic enough to raise my kids to know, love, and serve Jesus. To help my husband get to heaven. And to convince my students that thinking people really can be practicing Catholics who follow the Magisterium.

But my blog is not going to be the thing that does it.

Can I have a button anyway?

Jen - PopMeyer Musings
Yepp, you can have the button, Jen. You're in. Now, we like having underclassmen toadies around to puff up our fragile egos, but in reality I don't think you're that. You're definitely B-Team material. Welcome aboard and why don't ya bring your bishop along with you...
;)

5 Comments:

At 3/10/2006 3:13 PM, Blogger Maureen said...

Where's the blog?

 
At 3/10/2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Jen P said...

Yay! I'm in :)

Here's the blog (mostly commentary on life with kids, since I'm untenured and a little bit of a chicken about posting controversial things): http://popmeyer.blogspot.com/

 
At 3/10/2006 8:49 PM, Blogger Rick Lugari said...

Doh! After writing Jen back to get her Blog and url, I still neglect to put it up. Who's da amateur, huh?

 
At 3/11/2006 10:20 PM, Blogger Dorian Speed said...

JEN! You neglected to mention our alma mater connection! Which we will not share with the blogosphere, as I am remaining anonymous (except to anyone with a basic command of Google and a half-hour to skim my posts).

Soon, our hegemony will be complete. We can start a B-Team version of Shrine of the Holy Whapping.

Resistance! Futile! Assimilated! You get the drill.

ALL YOUR AMATEUR ARE BELONG TO US.

 
At 3/12/2006 11:29 PM, Blogger Jen P said...

I'm very familiar with the whole "We are Borg; we will assimilate you," but I'm still resisting. (James even made a family scrapbook for Cub Scouts that used "PopMeyer.") See, I'm winning :)

Once I get tenure, listen to me talk controversy on my blog. Or have another baby and gush about her.

Potato, potato.

Jen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home